Friday, May 28, 2010

This Place is for the Birds!

I thought I would dedicate this Blog posting to shining the spotlight on our unique Assisted Living cottage and Adult Day program at Valley Manor.

I call them unique because they represent a relatively new trend and focus in the delivery of support services to seniors. With more and more interest and demand by consumers for support service alternatives other than nursing home care, assisted living and community-based services are gaining in popularity and attention.

Here on the campus of Valley Manor, located in the lovely East Avenue neighborhood, sits the cottage that houses our 8 apartment assisted living residence and our distinct adult day program community.

I stopped by recently to visit with the residents and clients to see what was new and exciting in their world, and wow, there is a lot going on! Let me share just a sample of what they shared with me and what I saw.

As I arrived at the cottage, I was greeted by a resident and staff having a quiet conversation in the foyer as they basked in the sunlight and warmth from the windows looking out on the neighborhood. They welcomed me in and graciously allowed me to take pictures and explore their cozy home.


I then met resident Beverly Fink sitting outside her dining room working diligently on a jigsaw puzzle. I wasn't much help to her with her puzzle but we did enjoy a nice conversation. Beverly lived in an apartment at Valley Manor for years before deciding to move into the assisted living apartments where she would have access to more aide support. She still has dinner at Valley Manor every Wednesday evening to stay in contact with her "woman's support group" that was an important part of her past routine. She has also rediscovered her love for playing piano and often plays during tea times and sing-alongs with her new friends at the cottage.


Ms. Fink insisted that I check out the gardens off the back patio so I then made my way outside. The residents had been busy in the weeks prior starting up their vegetable and flower gardens in the backyard and participating in the "Sage Project" (I'll blog on that project in the near future).


Other projects that the residents have been enjoying include creating centerpieces for their dining room tables, wreathes for each individual apartment door, baking for each others' birthdays and embarking on their daily exercise and wellness program.

But the newest and biggest news of the week was the addition of Pete and Kiwi to the cottage. Pete and Kiwi are parakeets that the residents have named and adopted as their new cottage pets. In addition to their beautiful colors and singing voices, the parrots provide a sense of companionship, responsibility and enjoyment.

I then wandered next door to to visit with the clients of the adult day program. Here I was greeted by a group of seniors seated in the bright, roomy dining room enjoying an afternoon snack and finishing up a card game. I asked who was wining all the money, but they just laughed and said "not them".

Outside in the courtyard I saw a large congregation of folks enjoying the warmth and sunshine (that does bless Rochester from time to time). I walked out to see what was going on and was immediately introduced to Tiddly and Wink, two other parakeets that the adult day program clients have named and adopted as their pets. The birds are awesome and will even sit on your finger, head or wherever and provide hours of enjoyment.




By the time I left the cottage, it was clear to me that this place is very special. The "smallness" of the community fosters a unique family atmosphere that is so much like home and nothing like an "institutional setting". Relationships, friendships, activities and person-centered support are obvious key components to the joy and laughter that was so evident to me in just my short, one hour visit.

As I left and walked out to my car, I thought to myself what a wonderful place to live or come to. This place may be for the birds, but it is also a delightful place for our elders.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jim,
I am sure Phil is looking down on you and has a huge smile on his face and pride in his being. You are doing a marvelous job. One of Phil greatest talents was the ability to choose well his staff. Thank you for how you are making Seniors First an even more welcoming and providing love and care to those who need it most.
Gratefully, Vi

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.