Saturday, December 6, 2008

There but for the grace of God.........


I'm feeling a little introspective today as I read the morning paper's report about the death of a friend and peer. Kevin Nacy, president and CEO of Lakeside Health System died unexpectedly in his sleep early Friday morning.

As I read his short bio, I am struck by the eerie similarities in our lives. Kevin and I were both born in 1955 and at the age of 53 neither have had any significant illness or health problems. We both resided in Irondequoit and had 2 grown adult children, a son and a daughter. I can't help but wonder if, like me, he had encountered the wonderful experience of becoming a grandfather.

Kevin and I started our careers together, when we both worked as health care auditors for Blue Cross of Rochester. We both used our audit experience to land a finance position in a local hospital. Kevin went to Rochester General and I went to Nicholas Noyes Hospital. Shortly thereafter, we both took CFO jobs when Kevin went to work at Lakeside Hospital and I at Kirkhaven.

Similarily, we both became interested in health care administration and moved up within our respective organizations to become president and CEO. Kevin and I served together on various professional boards and our career paths would often cross within the health care community.

So why am I sitting here writing this Blog, while his life has come to a sudden end?

There is no answer to that question, but one can look to the scriptures to understand that both life and death are ours. Christ has conquered all fears in life, so that in death, we can live an eternal life with God.

All we can do is live our life on earth to the fullest, in the image of God who gave us faith, hope and love. I guess I'm feeling rather privileged today and expect I will have a greater appreciation for the things in my life. Death can be an inconvenient reminder of the true meaning of life.

So the world will keep spinning and the sun will set and rise as it does every day. Life goes on and so will we. Farewell Kevin and may you live in peace in heaven. There but for the grace of God, goes I.

No comments: