Thursday, May 8, 2008

Welcome to my Blog

As promised, I have created a CEO Blog which I plan to post weekly comments to in an attempt to share with you happening at Seniorsfirst from my CEO perspective. Postings will include a variety of information including some items that will hopefully make reading my Blog fun and interesting as well as informative. It will take me a while to get used to it and learn some of the neat tricks. Be patient with me............

First, some fun stuff. If you haven't been to my office lately, you need to stop by and see the collage of pictures on my office door showing off my new grandson. Logan James Mcdermott was born last weekend and he is soooooooooo cute. Check out the picture to the right with me, grandson #1 and grandson #3.

This past week has actually been a slow week (been a while for one of them). I was able to spend some extensive time coordinating the RAHSA restructuring project which I am heading up. It is a lot of extra work, but I enjoy the opportunity and high profile it provides me with my peers. It is also something different from my usual duties.

I have also had some free time to explore some financial forecasting and analysis with respect to potential options for creating a new community for the existing Kirkhaven building after we move. This is proving to be quite a fiscal challenge, but I love this type of work. I'm exploring the potential of renovating it into moderate-rate senior housing by doubling up the existing rooms to create a 44 apartment facility with the Sout wing continuing to house our corporate support offices.

Amanda and I particpated in a KH building & grounds committee this week where our architects presented our current site drawing and layout of the new KH concept. It still has a long way to go before it is finalized, but we are starting to hone in a vision and concept. It is so exciting, but also very daunting. Pretty soon we can share some initial drawings with you all.

Cass and I had lunch with our labor attorneys and learned the latest developments on the new deferred compensation (403b) regulations. I'm sure you're thinking "wow, what a thrilling dinner conversation". Actually it was and lunch at toranados on their expense budget wasn't bad either.

Scott, Amanda, Jim Payne (we need to find a nickname for Jim) and I participated in a meeting with Innovative Solutions and Freedom Therapy as we continued our dialog on creating a high-tech, flat screen/computer amenity in our rehab rooms. This would create a "WOW" factor for our rehab rooms and provide the resident with everything from HD tv to internet access to music, videos, games and education tv. We will probably pursue a protype room to test the concept.

I spent one afternoon this week doing rounds at VM. Wow does it look great! The grounds have been landscaped and the walls outside of the auditorium area have been drywalled over the concrete. The Freedom Therapy area looks awesome. The gardens are in bloom............

Friday evening I am joined by 5 other staff members who I invited to attend the Alzheimer's Association Gala with me. This represents a nice networking opportunity and it shows our support for another not-for-profit with a related mission to our own. Afterwards, Jen and I are traveling up north for the weekend to spend Mother's Day with her Mom.

Okay, that is my first Blog posting. Hope you enjoyed it. Next week will be hectic but exciting as we welcome the Greystone folks for their initial site visit at VM and have three Seniorsfirst board committee meetings (HR, Marketing & Development). Be sure to visit my Blog next Friday for an update on these items and more!

No comments: