Friday, May 23, 2008

NYAHSA Annual Spring Conference

The majority of my week was dedicated to attending our State Association's Annual Spring Conference held in Saratoga Springs. The weather was cool and rainy which made it easy to focus on the educational and networking opportunities that were plentiful.

I arrived Monday evening and met up with some of my peers for dinner before heading out to a vendor-sponsored networking party where I met up with many vendors and peers to share conversation and fellowship. Tuesday was full of educational seminars and vender exhibit followed by a NYAHSA sponsored dinner event. The entertainment was a group of political satirists called "Capital Steps" who has the audience in stiches with their skits, songs and jokes. As they acknowledged right up front, the current national and state political scene provides the kind of material they could only dream of!

Wednesday was another full day of seminars follwed by a half day on Thursday, ending with an outstanding closing session that focused on "warming up the workplace". All in all, I thought the seminars I attended were all outstanding. I always find that this conference includes the most relevant issues most closely aligned with the challenges we are currently facing. The information and education provided has a high percentage of immediate impact on both operational and strategic components of our business. I will be introducing some leadership and strategic concepts, that I picked up at the conference, in the very near future.

Thank you to the leadership team back home that kept things going while Amanda, Cheryl and I were attending this conference. I was able to stay connected via my e-mail and voice-mail, but it is always comforting to know that our team is deep enough to maintain operations without any problems when other key staff are away.

When we return to work next week after the long Memorial Day Weekend, we will hit the ground running, I will attend the Valley Manor Gentleman's breakfast and participate in a 401(k) planning meeting and a lobster bisque fundraiser planning meeting. We have our Senior Leadership Team strategy meeting and both the Kirkhaven and Valley Manor board of director's meetings.

I'm looking forward to the long weekend and plan to go out and watch the Senior PGA Open on Saturday. Jen and I are hosting a graduation diiner party for our nephew who graduates from college and I hope to get out to play my first round of golf on Sunday. Hope the holiday weekend brings everyone some well deserved R & R.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Have a good week back after a great and productive long weekend. Love Jen