Saturday, April 4, 2009

Business and Politics?

With so much attention lately centered around the business of politics and what is happening on both the local scene with the Governor and the State budget process and the national scene with new President Obama and his challenges, I got to thinking................

How would things be different at Seniorsfirst if I was elected to the office of President/CEO by all the people of Rochester? The staff, the residents, families of residents, vendors, consultants, future prospective customers, competitors, peers, friends, enemies, etc. What if every 4 years an election was held and all these people decided by their vote if I was the best person for the job?

Would it change the way I perform my job? Would I alter my objectives, my priorities, my style of leadership.? I would think I would have to, or accept the fact that I wouldn't have my job very long. But would the change be beneficial for the overall organization over the long term? Or would it be aimed at meeting the needs of the most vocal, most powerful, most influential?

I like to think that my role as CEO is to balance the conflicting needs of different parties and to serve in a leadership capacity that attempts to unite the organization in a common vision and mission, despite the often conflicting and competing goods. While I always utilize the collective wisdom and perspective of those around me and my ultimate authority is controlled and accountable by a Board of Governors, I make the final decisions that set the course for Seniorsfirst.

How convenient (not to mention effective and efficient) it is that I also am able to choose my support team and create a cohesive group with a common vision and set of goals. From the board on down, everyone pulls in the same direction, and as a result, things get done!

I can't imagine how our political system can ever be efficient or effective the way it is structured. First, the CEO must run for office. Excessive amount of time and money must be spent to "spin" idealistic messages to influence support and gain votes. People who might not really understand your skills or capabilities will determine your fate based on how they think you will measure up to their individual needs and desires.

If you are elected by the masses, you then have to run your office working through groups of other elected people formed to create various eclectic teams, all of whom have different visions and objectives they desire to accomplish. We call these groups the Senate, House of Representatives and the Assembly.

Additionally, everybody has only 1 term (or 4 years) to make a positive difference and thus hopefully get re-elected. Therefore, decisions are made for short-term advantages and immediate gratification rather than the long-term benefit. If by chance you are actually able to succeed in this crazy system, you are eventually thrown out anyway by term limits.

This system has rarely worked and the proof here in New York has either been a history of late budgets or hastily created on-time budgets that are developed behind closed doors by a chosen few and then passed off on by others in the interest of political party support or sheer peer pressure. Every budget passed has been short-sighted and lacks any sense of sustainable long-term vision or goals.

So, with my apologies to our forefathers who may have developed a good system for their times, here is how I would propose we change it for the better today.

First, the people would only elect representatives to serve on a Board of Governors. These Representatives would have to adhere to strict campaign limitations and the majority of the campaign materials and process would be conducted by a Board of Elections that would provide necessary information on candidates to enable people to make informed decisions. The Board of Governors would serve in a capacity much like boards of not-for-profit organizations. They would only help establish broad-based policy, vision and goals but would not play a role in making or approving operational decisions, laws or how policies are carried out. The Board would be charged with hiring the CEO (Governor of the State or President of the Country).

In hiring this CEO, the Board and the CEO would be aligned and work collaboratively. Board Representatives would serve on various cabinet committees and work with the CEO's chosen team of staff to help support and oversee the work of the administration. Monthly Board meeting would be held to ensure that the work and performance led by the CEO was in sync with the vision, mission and goals established by the Board. The Board of Governors would serve staggered terms and would have term limits subject to re-election by the voters. The CEO would serve without limits subject to the will of the majority of the Board.

Maybe I'm just being a skeptic, but the current system doesn't appear to work very well and needs to be changed. And I don't mean we need someone new in charge. It's like trying to cut down a redwood tree with a toothbrush. It doesn't really matter who you have holding on to the handle or what strategies they employ, until you get a new tool you're not going to fall that tree.

Anyway, that's my opinion from a CEO perspective. Probably never will happen, but it makes for fun blogging. In the meantime, I'm just happy that I get to work in an environment where we all sing from the same hymnal, pull in the same direction and aim at the same targets, despite our unique perspectives, ideas and styles.

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Check back next week when we may have a final State budget passed and I will share my insights.

No comments: