Monday, March 9, 2009

"Recharging my Battery"


I'm a firm believer in the benefit of taking time off from work periodically for rest and relaxation as well as to "recharge your battery". This past week, I had the good fortune to do just that and so my CEO Blog for this week is all about my R and R.

I started my vacation a tad early with a day ski trip to Holimont (just south of Buffalo). The weather was ideal and I managed to avoid any broken bones that would have ruined the rest of my vacation plans. After a full day of skiing, I stopped by the HSBC Arena in Buffalo to watch my beloved Sabres lose to the Anaheim Ducks.




















The following day was my wife Jennifer's retirement party to celebrate her 20 years of dedicated service to the District Attorney's Office. It was a great event and the presentations and words by her peers made the evening very special for Jen and left me even more proud of her amazing accomplishments. Here she is with Mike Green (DA) and Ken Hyland (former First Assistant).















The following day, Jen and I hopped a plane to spend a week in Cancun, Mexico. We stayed at the Grand Oasis Caribbean, which is a lovely all-inclusive resort located along the hotel zone on the Caribbean Sea. We had fabulous weather and spent most of our time laying out in the sun by the pool or the sea. We both read 3 novels, worked out daily and took many long walks. The food was very good and the service was excellent. It was fairly crowded with a lot of Spring Breakers, but we usually were able to find our own little "quiet spot" somewhere among the crowd.

















I was even able to watch the Sabres beat the Montreal Canadians at a sports bar in Cancun. I was the only Sabres fan among a sea of Canadians, but I had the last laugh as Buffalo won 5 to 1. We arrived home on Friday at 5 p.m. and immediately drove off to Buffalo to watch the Sabres win yet again It was a great game and a nice way to end our vacation.
I still had the weekend to rewind and get caught up before heading back to work on Monday. I admit it wasn't easy to get back into the work mode, but with a great week behind me and enough sun to hopefully carry me though March, my battery is recharged and I'm ready to conquer whatever challenges come my way.
The work we do is not easy and the challenges are never ending. I hope you all have the opportunity to take some time and do what you enjoy most. Take a trip, visit family, sleep in, read a book or two, finish a project, whatever floats your boat. But take the time for rest and relaxation and recharge your battery.
Thanks for visiting my Blog and stay tuned for updates on what's new at Seniorsfirst from the CEO perspective.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A life devoted to things is a dead life, a stump; a God - shaped life is a flourishing tree. PROVERBS 11:28